The global systemic lupus erythematosus market size is expected to reach USD 3.08 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., exhibiting a CAGR of 7.0% during the forecast period. Introduction of new biological therapies, which will add to treatment alternatives and medication costs, in the development pipeline is estimated to fuel revenue generation of the market. Certain new promising drugs that are currently in Phase III trials are anticipated to augment the market as these drugs may target the lupus nephritis patient subset with few effective alternatives and significant unmet needs to be met. This factor is likely to have a strong impact on the market as nearly 50.0% of SLE patients suffer with lupus nephritis.
Use of approved biologic, Benlysta, through clinical studies, has revealed drastic improvements and substantial decrease in consumption of anti-inflammatory glucocorticoids in moderate SLE cases. GSK’s current initiatives center on further increasing opportunities for Benlysta. The company is conducting indication expansion clinical trials, combination therapy studies with rituximab, and new product development, to widen opportunities for its therapy. In this direction, recent launch of Benlysta’s subcutaneous formulation in several countries is expected to boost the SLE market over the forecast period.
Browse Research Report on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Market:
Further key findings from the study suggest:
- North America was the major contributor for the SLE market revenue in 2017 and is anticipated to rise at a CAGR of 8.1% during the forecast period. This is due to availability of reimbursement and better healthcare infrastructure and accessibility to biologics.
- Europe was ranked as the second largest regional market in the SLE market in 2017 and is expected to register a CAGR of 5.5% over the forecast period
- Immunosuppressants held the largest share in the market in 2017 due to their low cost and high accessibility, whereas the biologics segment is projected to post the highest CAGR during the same period
- In 2017, the oral segment held the dominant share of over 54.0% in the market, followed by the intravenous segment that requires trained medical personnel for administration. Over the forecast years, the latter is poised to expand at a CAGR of 10.4%
- Key players in this space include GlaxoSmithKline, Roche, Pfizer, Novartis, Bayer, and Sanofi. By 2025, other companies such as ImmuPharma, Aurinia Pharmaceuticals, and Astra Zeneca are anticipated to enter the SLE market.
View more reports of this category by Grand View Research at
Grand View Research has segmented the global systemic lupus erythematosus market by drug class, route of administration, and region:
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Drug Classes Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 – 2025)
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Route of Administration Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 – 2025)
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 – 2025)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
View press release of this research report by Grand View Research:
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials, and healthcare.