April 2021 | Report Format: Electronic (PDF)
The global organ transplant immunosuppressant drugs market size is expected to reach USD 5.88 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 3.3% during the forecast period, according to a new report by Grand View Research. Growing patient population requiring organ transplantations and increasing approval of novel products are the factors driving the market growth. However, the high procedural cost of transplantations, the disproportion in the supply and demand for organs, and uncertain reimbursement scenario are the major factors restraining the market growth.
According to the Health Resources & Services Administration and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, more than 113,000 people were in need of transplants as of January 2019 and 36,528 transplants were performed in 2018. Hence, there is huge demand for organ transplants that will further boost the market. Kidney transplant held the largest market share in the transplant segment and is expected to retain its leading position through the forecast period. This can be attributed to increasing demand and comparatively better availability of kidneys than other organs.
Among the drug classes, the calcineurin inhibitors are expected to dominate the global organ transplant immunosuppressant drugs market through the forecast period. There are two drugs in this drug class, Prograf (tacrolimus) and Neoral/Sandimmune (cyclosporine). Although these effective immunosuppressants have been used in kidney transplant recipients for more than 20 years, they hold extensive toxicity profiles. Asia Pacific is expected to show the highest CAGR, while North America is expected to hold the largest share during the forecast period.
To request a sample copy or view summary of this report, click the link below:
Further Key Findings From the Study Suggest:
- Calcineurin inhibitors are expected to command the largest market share in the drug class segment. Calcineurin inhibitors inhibit the activation action of T-cells of the immune system by the enzyme calcineurin.
- Calcineurin inhibitors such as tacrolimus and cyclosporine are the cornerstone of immunosuppression for kidney transplantation. In more than 85% cases of kidney transplant, tacrolimus is prescribed as a part of the patients’ maintenance immunosuppressive regimen.
- Kidney transplant is expected to maintain its dominance through the forecast period due to the increasing demand for kidney replacement procedures
- Asia Pacific regional market is expected to demonstrate the fastest growth over the forecast period due to rising per capita healthcare expenditure, improving healthcare infrastructure, and increasing demand for organ transplantations in the region
- Key players operating in this space include Astellas Pharma, Inc., Sanofi Genzyme, Accord Healthcare Ltd., Novartis AG, Mylan Laboratories, Inc., Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., GlaxoSmithKline plc, Veloxis Pharmaceuticals A/S, and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.